Often the participants of the battles carry shell fragments in their bodies for many years, and they do not interfere with their lives. However, brain injuries, when foreign objects enter the skull, usually end in death or severe disability of a person. But there are amazing cases when people with similar injuries get off with a strong fright.

The case of the German soldier Heinrich Seidlitz, a participant in the First World War, is described in the special literature. In 1916, during the fighting near Verdun, he was wounded, a shell fragment stuck in his head. Henry felt almost no pain, the bleeding was minimal. The wounded man did not lose the ability to move, retained his sight and hearing. The field surgeon refused the operation because a piece of metal got stuck near important parts of the brain During the operation, Seydlitz could have died. After being demobilized, Heinrich lay in several hospitals and consulted with the famous German neurosurgeon Dr. Dietz. The luminary of medical science advised not to touch the fragment.

Seydlitz lived with a piece of iron in his head until 1925, when he died of heart failure.

There are more recent cases. On March 3, 1997, 27-year-old nurse Allison Kennedy was riding a commuter train in the suburbs of Belfast. Unexpectedly, the girl was attacked by a young guy As it later turned out, 17-year-old Robert Buckland, who was not working anywhere, was under the influence of a drug, He pulled out a hunting knife with a long blade and stabbed it into Allison’s temple. The knife entered the head to the hilt. The victim said later: “I experienced excruciating pain and fear. I thought at first that I was dead. However, she raised her hand to her eyes and realized that she was still alive. I felt that something extraneous was in my head.”

Several n passengers witnessed this incident. The guy immediately ran away. Allison moved unsteadily to the exit of the car. The injured girl turned to an elderly passenger who was literally speechless from what he saw: “Can you help me? What happened to me?”

Kennedy kept her mind clear, despite the fact that a knife was sticking out of her head. Allison was incredibly lucky. The blade missed vital brain centers and blood vessels. The operation, which lasted two and a half hours, took place at the National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery. The blade was removed from the victim’s head.

Kennedy has partially lost the sensitivity of her left hand. Her visual acuity decreased, but in general she felt fine. Two weeks later, Allison was discharged from the hospital. Within a few years, the girl’s eyesight and ability almost completely returned to her. This case was described in the British Medical Journal. Buckland was arrested and sentenced to a long term of imprisonment.

In May 1999, an accident occurred at the Two Bears Club in Hatfield. Honorary member of the CLU Sir Ronald Fenwick, playing billiards, slipped and fell. A branded metal cue pierced the elderly gentleman in the head. It stuck into the right side of the face above the jaw and came out above and slightly behind the left ear. When the ambulance arrived, it turned out that the victim could not enter the salon because of a long cue sticking out of his head. I had to saw off part of the cue. At the hospital, surgeons very slowly and carefully pulled the cue out of Fenwick’s head. The victim felt almost no pain when the cue was stuck in his head and when he was removed from there. The only unpleasant consequences were mild headaches, numbness of the tongue and insomnia. After recovering, Sir Ronald ordered a special bronze box for the ill-fated cue, which became a family heirloom.

An even more severe ordeal fell to the lot of foundry worker Calvin Page in 2001. He worked at the Onyx steel mill in Sheerness, Kent. The steel rod accidentally fell out of the cooling bath and fell down. Page was standing under the bathtub, and a rod about 85 centimeters long stuck into his head. The rod had a temperature of several hundred degrees. The workers standing next to Page screamed. What happened next cannot be called anything but a miracle. Page grabbed the rod with his bare hands and pulled it out of his head. The red-hot rod burned the worker’s palms, the skin came off them.

The victim was taken to the hospital. Unfortunately, this injury did not remain without consequences: Kelvin’s speech became illegible, his eyesight deteriorated. The factory management paid him a million pounds as compensation.